It seems every so often, I have friends that are headed to Delhi for a vacation and I’m giving them the same tips about places to shop at, eat at, etc. So here’s a permanent place on the web that I can point tp in future such situations.
NOTE: this list was put together by my amazing elder sister, Anu (who I would link to if she started a blog like I’ve been telling her to for the past 10 years… Anu, start a blog!). The shopping suggestions are expert-level, while the food and things to do lists are pretty sparse.
1. N-Block Market in Greater Kailash I
* Mens Clothes at Ravi Bajaj
* Fab India – cotton textiles for whole family
* Corner Store- great book store and coffee shop
* Various home furnishing stores
* Anokhi–very vera bradley like (or it’s probably more accurate to say vera bradley now does stuff that’s very anokhi-like). Pencil cases, clothes, bedding, etc. Also will have a limited selection of dresses for the girls that can double as swimsuit coverups.
2. DLF Promonade and Emporio
* Couture US and European shops–not worth shopping at b/c luxury tax is 30% in India
* Book Stores with story times for kids
* Ritus for very cute western tunics and what not
* Kidology for high end kids wear (price points similar to expensive in the US but some very cute ethnic outfits–more western focused)
* Various for chappals, glasses (Dayal optical is located here and they are the ones in Delhi to go to for prescription glasses)
* DON’T MISS THIS BECAUSE IT IS LIKE A MALL IN THE STATES AND VERY KID FRIENDLY with range in price, quality, and look
* Home Furnishings
* Clothes (go to Ogan)
4. Khan Market
* Kids Clothing shops–I cannot remember the names
* There’s also a Fabindia and Anokhi here
* This is supposedly Asia’s most expensive retail space per square foot!
* Indian Couture/Designer outfits–Designers like Satya Pal, Manish Arora, Rohit Bal, Ritus, Musafar Ali, etc.
6. South Extention
* Heritage – best selection of kurta pajamas for men in Delhi
7. Cottage Emporium in Connaught Place
* Handicrafts from all over India that are authentic with govt controlled pricing. Great place to buy little trinkets for kids friends also have a wonderful selection of furniture, tables etc. Kids will enjoy this tremendously–ours did.
* Also a great place to get art pieces for your home, whether it’s a sculpture or a painting.
Things to do:
* Take kids to Delhi (Dilli) Hut–out door mela with stalls of handicrafts. KIDS WILL LOVE THIS. Ours went numerous times.
* Walk at India Gate at Night
* Rashtrapati Bhavan
* …various Delhi sights
Zest at DLF Emporio (great place to go as a couple–you can take kids, but I would go for an earlier dinner)
All the five stars have good food….I’m a bit dated in this department b/c things have changed so much. The two I have mentioned were wonderful! Old places that are tried and true:
1. Maurya Sheraton
2. Taj on Mansingh Road